> [jdorje - Sun Jan 27 22:16:24 2008]:
>
> Here is a quick and partial fix.  I assume that strerror() is one of
the
> most common offending functions, so I quickly went through and
converted
> all mystrerror users in client/ and server/ directories to use the
> newly-written L_().  The only real issue with it is the use of
> fixed-sized buffers which are wasteful if too large and broken if too
> small, but as I said in my previous message I see no real alternative
here.

Might I suggest that instead of wrapping every call to mystrerror with
L, you instead call L inside mysterror (and of course document that
mystrerror does the conversion)? Or make a "mystrerror_l" that does
this (to keep mysterror for the cases that shouldn't be converted).
It would make your patch much simpler. I agree in general with your
reservations about fixed size buffers, but I think that in this case
it is acceptable to used them because:

1. It is very unlikey that any strerror message is longer than 256
characters (I have looked at _sys_errlist_internal in libc and that
is the case, I assume it is very probably so on other platforms).

2. Strerror is not re-entrant (e.g. thread-safe) anyway (we would
need to use strerror_r for that).

3. It is very unlikely that someone will need to call mysterror twice
in the same expression (e.g. more than once in a printf-like call).

Hence a fixed static buffer inside mystrerror (or mysterror_l) to
hold the converted text would be an acceptable solution in this
case, in my opinion.

> Madeline, if you can test this and verify it fixes those strings then
at
> least we'll know we're getting somewhere.  It would also be helpful if
> you'd point out to us what other strings are being handled wrongly.

All the "corrupted" strings that I had found previously now display
correctly (and no gtk warnings appear) with your patch applied. I
cannot of course guarantee that that is all of them. ;)

> It is important to recognize which strings go in which encoding. If
you
> use printf() directly your strings must be in the local encoding.
More
> commonly freelog or fc_fprintf is used and these functions expect
> strings in the internal encoding.  Generally all freeciv functions
> should expect the internal encoding unless specifically documented
> otherwise.
>
> Also as a side note there's another library we use, lua.  Strings from
> LUA are probably in the local encoding so should use L_ too.

I agree with you on those points.