New version of the patch for anyone interested:

changes:

1) should now compile for any graphical library (but will still only
affect gtk2, all other libraries will draw straight lines.  If anyone
is familiar with xaw,win32,ftwl... and sees merit in the idea perhaps
they might modify the implementations to suit (it also makes a rather
easy starting project)

2) Cleaned up variables and tweaked some values to improve line
continuity.

Regards
Stuart