Just to throw in a couple cents here... I don't fundamentally disagree with
what Per is saying here, but I don't think that it's all gloom and doom.
Take AI government choice for example. To make the 'correct' choice of a
government, a server-side AI can actually change the government, recompute
all the cities and check against other choices. A client-side AI can't do
that, or at least can't do that in a way which loads down the server (and a
client-side AI is what we're talking about here).

The CMA on the other hand can load down the server (if I recall; it's been
awhile) because the client can keep asking for cma_results from the server
to see if they're ok to do. Perhaps throttling these requests is a
solution.

I wholeheartedly agree that generalized rulesets have made it hard on AI,
and doing a lot of the heavy-lifting pregame, after the rulesets have been
received by the client, but before the game begins is probably the only way
to go without your supercomputer.  Despite this, humans can do pretty well
with the amount of game state that the server sends their clients, so I
expect that client-side AI can do the same with just as much information
and more attention to detail.

-mike