> The thing is, using just "s" as the variable name might conflict
> with string variables, and "ss" is not much better (but probably
> as good as "op", if some other pointer-to-object variables do
> not use it already). Another possibility is "psetting" (like there
> is "pcity", "punit", etc.), though it is quite long. We can combine
> the best of both worlds and get "pset", which is short, unique
> (as far as I know) and reminds the programmer what the
> variable is (once they have seen it with its full type of 'struct
> setting *').

I did rename op_* to pset_* as it matches the purpose of the variable: a
pointer to a setting struct

[...]

> Yes. The convention of appending "_s" to the struct name is not
> used in freeciv, so there is no reason to keep it here in this case
> (there are some bits of code that awkwardly use "setting" as a
> variable name which should probably be fixed, altough using
> "setting" as both the struct label and a variable name is not a
> syntax error).

This should even less a problem as the struct settings is only define within
settings.c

> >> Fine, but in its own ticket please (each new feature should
> >> have its own patch).
> >
> > yes; each list point should be (at least) one ticket; if I get how to
> > plan my
> > work it will be several patches with each resulting in a working freeciv
> > version ...
>
> Sorry to keep reminding you about basic things you probably already
> know well; I do it also for anybody reading these discussions in the
> future. ;)

It is good to read it from somebody else. So I know it is the right way to do

> >> A command to do this has already existed a long time in
> >> warclient; it is called /reset and I think this is a slightly better
> >> name than /default (for example in the future it could take
> >> parameters so you could "/reset settings", "/reset map",
> >> "/reset teams" etc.).
> >
> > OK; I will look into warclient.
>
> There are instructions on how to download and build it here:
> http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Warclient

I do a download of the warclient svn at the moment ...

> > How many freeciv versions are out there? I knew of freeciv (the
> > original), warclient and longturn.
>
> Those are the 3 that are being "actively" developed. My
> longterm goal is to merge them all into one project.

... and also a download of the longturn svn ...

Do you can say something more about this plan? I read that your first priority
is the editor for freeciv 2.2. What are the most important points to merge
into freeciv? Tips how to do it?

Matthias

--
Matthias Pfafferodt - http://www.mapfa.de