Win32 client does not compile. I looked it a bit and it seems that quite a
lot of work would be required just in order to make it compile, and even more
for it to actually work.

As I want to keep win32 client around in 2.2 cycle, I propose that we apply
this patch to TRUNK only and drop win32 client support there (of course,
anybody is free to start maintaining it). Bad news is that then bugs fixed by
this patch series would not be fixed yet in 2.2. Or can we have fixes to those
without this particular patch? (At some point I imagined those to be fixable
even in S2_1 as earlier patch of the series had also S2_1 version)