I think whole new command for fixing this rather small detail is overkill,
and additional command in server help makes learning curve only steeper.
Logic to decide when to send settings should be in the client side. This
should not be limited to "savename" but all settings loaded from savegame
should be preferred over client defaults.

I looked this (client sources) and bug is not as obvious as previously
thought. Client should send settings only to forked servers (so server has
definitely loaded savegame before client requests it) and before savegame is
loaded. Thus values loaded from savegame should override ones sent by
client.