As far as I can tell, all of the "core" tilesets (amplio, hex2t, isophex,
isotrident, trident) define at least "modern" graphics for the cities
themselves, which I think means they should be OK. Do you mean add-on
tilesets? I'll happily have a go at patching these up as you suggest, if
there's somewhere I can upload them.

Or are you referring to citizens_graphic/citizens_graphic_alt? I can see a
problem here with the shipping tilesets if these are used, but to be honest,
looking at the trunk sources and shipping tilesets, I couldn't figure out
what these were for -- as far as I can tell the code doesn't use them. Did I
miss something?