> What happeens if there is two human players, and one of them
> dies while another one is temporarily /away?

Of course, it would also end the game.  From my experience, /away is not used
to play for you, because it spoils your game too much.  When /away is issued,
the user usually don't come back.

Maybe a better approach would be to set a timeout automatically (30 seconds
e.g.) when the last current human player dies (then allow people to
reconnect, and also to take over the AIs).

Moreover, I think setting a maximal number of packets the client can handle
at once could be good.  It would makes a break, and allow the user to issue
gui commands.