> I can see the defect and suppose, there is no way to recover
> the file (because information is missing). Or can I do
> anything (hard disc recovery?) ?

I think the data is lost. If you have a save file from an earlier turn you
could (re)start there.

> By the way: How did you rescue the file ? (for I don't know
> anything about this stuff)

freeciv uses gzip to compress to save files. I did

# gzip -dc buendia176.sav.gz

This way the file was decompressed (-d) with output to stdout (-c). After the
first part of the file the corruption was found. In comment #3 I attached all
I could rescue.