"Another related issue is that I think progress towards an improvement is
somehow accounted to individual engineers; if I have one working on a
transformation, and later put another one on the same activity/tile, after
that, if I want to take one of the engineers off the project, how long the
remaining one will take to finish the transformation depends on which one it
is (and I have no way of telling them apart)."

Hopefully the fix will involve some way of telling how far along the project
is...