I assume "gavin" was Winston Churchill.

Huh. I thought could reproduce this last night with latest S2_2 svn (r17122),
but now I can't reproduce it with either that same version or the 2.2.0
release. Can you reproduce it after loading the savegame?

If I load the game in freeciv-gtk2, "/take Winston", start, go to the Nations
report, select Ardashir I (Persian), then I can pull down Diplomacy, select
Meet, and get a "Diplomacy: Persians" dialog. (But last night I'm sure "Meet"
was grayed out. Perhaps I just tripped over bug #15505, it was late.)

In this savegame, the Messages tab contains '*Ardashir I (AI)* We grow weary
of this constant bloodshed. May we suggest a cessation of hostilities?' (from
the event cache, for this turn). This suggests that at the point the game was
saved there may have been a "Diplomacy: Persians" dialog. That makes me
wonder about bug #15439 (fixed since 2.2.0), but I don't think open treaty
windows are preserved across save/load.