                 Privacy: Public
         Planned Release:

This is the fifth patch in a short series intended to improve the gtk gui on
netbook sized displays.

On small displays you won't fit two notebooks (aka tabwidgets) on the screen
at the same time, so you have to scroll between them, which voids all
benefits of having two. Much simpler to just use one in that case.

This patch merges the bottom and top notebooks when the
gui_gtk2_small_display_layout configuration option is enabled.

The combined notebook behaves like the top notebook normally does (eg tabs at
the bottom, can not be detached) but includes the pages normally included in
the bottom one. Note, however, that the gui_gtk2_split_bottom_notebook option
is still honoured and will put the messages tab in a separate full-height
notebook to the right of the combined notebook, but I don't see that as a
common use case.

This patch could be improved on by making the chat tab detachable when it
lives in the non-detachable combined notebook, provided it reattach when the
window is closed. However, I'm not familiar enough with gtk to figure out how
to do so in a reasonable amount of time, and I don't see detaching the chat
window a common use case on netbooks and other devices with limited screen
real-estate, so it's not a high priority for me.

File Attachments:

Date: tisdag 2010-06-01 den 10:47  Name:
freeciv-2.2.1-merge-bottom-and-top-notebooks-on-small-display-layout.patch
Size: 4 kB   By: jon_severinsson