Sorry, it appear I managed to attach the wrong file, but no harm done, as you
managed to create it yourself, based on my description.

Anyway, I applied your patch on a fresh trunk checkout, and tested the result
(on my desktop, but in a forced 1024x575 px window thus emulating my netbook),
and it does work as intended. The default selection of displayed columns does
force the *list* to scroll in order to fit in the *tab*, but the *tab* is not
so wide that it forces the entire *window* to scroll.