My reply here seems completely irrelevant for the bug. Should we take it
up somewhere else?

> > Ah right. We (debian) have been pretty good about keeping
> > freeciv up to date in unstable, and new versions have (thus far)
> > rebuilt fine on older releases. I'd hope that anyone who wants a
> > debianised package could use the testing package and rebuild it
> > on their deb based platform.
>
> Debian typically releases packets month or two after we have made
> official release, but for some people anything from stable branch (as
> opposed to development version in trunk) is already old news. It's
> probably rare that such a person would need debian package, though.

Agreed.

> I personally built debian packets during S2_2 development cycle to
> test libfreeciv as shared library in system directory and I want

is libfreeciv a new part of freeciv?

> everything that is put to system directories to be handled as Debian
> packets. I'd like to see our (freeciv upstream) debian directory as
> starting point for downstream implementation. We should keep it up to

While it would be great to be able to work with you (upstream) on the
packaging, we (debian) won't use an upstream debian/ dir - its stripped
out during the package building in favour of ours.

> date with build system changes and improvements and downstream could
> check those changes and make updates to their files accordingly.

Would you be interested in packaging (debian/ dir) suggestions from
debian?
Would you be willing to ship your debian/ dir as an example.debian (or
similar name), or do you prefer to leave it as debian?

> Big build system changes between S2_1 and S2_2 that may affect
> distributions are possibility to build libfreeciv as shared library
> and possibility to build multiple clients at once. Our debian build
> files take advantage both of those features.

I'll definitely have another look at the shipped debian dir, because I
was wondering how sane it would be to switch to the code for building
multiple clients in a single run.