> - The largest possible map size works great in single-player
> mode.

Good ;-) But saving is another problem; see my comment to patch #1728.
Perhaps you could solve the problems with saving/loading the new player data.
I had to revert the patch.

> - The overview map should probably be clipped or scaled to fit
> large maps.

It is at the smallest possible size (IMHO on pixel for each tile). So another
solution is needed.

> - When playing with a lot of AI players with the largest map
> size, ending a turn takes quite a lot of time.

That's the real problem. You could try to compile using '--enable-gprof' to
get profiling data (see patch #1707). I do not know how to fix this ...