I thank pepeto for mentioning g_idle_add().

Because g_idle_add() delays set_client_page(PAGE_NETWORK), Freeciv sets
NEW_PASSWORD_TYPE or ENTER_PASSWORD_TYPE *before* entering the network page.
The problem is that set_client_page(PAGE_NETWORK) assumes that we want
LOGIN_TYPE.

Here is my patch for S2_2. The idea is to *always* set_connection_type() to
LOGIN_TYPE, NEW_PASSWORD_TYPE or ENTER_PASSWORD_TYPE before doing
set_client_page(PAGE_NETWORK).

The patch fixes the bug for me, but I only tested a few situations:

0 Starting client with no arguments, then clicking "Connect to Network
Game".
0 Autoconnecting to server that wants new password.
0 Autoconnecting to server that wants existing password.

(file #9708)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: p22-autoconnect-password.diff  Size:4 KB