I found the reference. [url=http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3493]RFC
3493[/url], which defines IPv6 sockets, explains that 'The gethostbyname2()
function was deprecated in RFC 2553 and is no longer part of the basic API.'

I suppose that someone deleted gethostbyname2() from <netdb.h>, but left
gethostbyname2() in the library for backward compatibility with old programs.
Then the replacement of gethostbyname2() with getaddrinfo() might fix this
bug.

----

net_lookup_service() returns only one address, but getaddrinfo() returns a
linked list of addresses. I designed my patch for bug #15559 to use multiple
calls to net_lookup_service() to build an array of addresses. My idea is that
someone will replace the multiple calls to net_lookup_service() with a single
call to getaddrinfo().