Matthias Pfafferodt writes:
> You are right, this should be noted in the wiki. I would like clear
> instructions as how to use the assigned field of the bug tracker. Here is a
> proposal for the wiki entry:
>
> ### wiki: http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Commit_rules ###
> === Normal patches ===
> Patches must be posted to the bug tracker. Grant an adequate period of time
> before commit to allow comments (minimum 36 hours).
>
> If there are comments the patch should be modified accordingly and
> reposted by one of the interested parties. During this time the status
> of the patch should be set to ''In Progress''.
>
> Wait for comments regarding the modification (minimum 24 hours).
> Iterate.
>
> If there are no more issues to solve set the status of the patch to
> ''Ready For Test'' and assign it to the one who will commit it. Wait a
> sufficient time before committing the patch.
> ### wiki: http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Commit_rules ###

This last "wait a sufficient time" step after the review period is new.
Do we need it? How long is this additional delay?

(Personally, I think the existing "review" periods are sufficient to
allow testing too.)

Also, I think we need indication of when someone's "taken" a patch and
is working on it offline, to avoid both duplication of effort and bugs
languishing because everyone thinks someone else is dealing with it.

I propose "In Progress" as the working-on-it-offline state, and
"Ready For Test" as the comments-invited state. That's how I've been
using them, anyway.

### start <http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Commit_rules> proposal ###
When you start working on a ticket, ensure that it's assigned to
yourself and set the status to ''In Progress'' to avoid duplication of
effort. (Corollary: don't take others' ''In Progress'' tickets without
asking.)

When a patch is ready, it must be posted to the bug tracker and the
ticket status set to ''Ready For Test''. Allow an adequate period of
time in this state for comments (minimum 36 hours).

If there are comments, the patch should be modified accordingly and
reposted by one of the interested parties. After reposting, the ticket
status should once again be set to ''Ready For Test'' and time allowed
for re-review (minimum 24 hours). Iterate.

If there are no more issues, the patch may be committed and the ticket
closed.
### end <http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Commit_rules> proposal ###