I would like such a command too although for a different scenarios.

At the start of the game I use wariors to explore. At some point the enemy
has found me and I need to defend my cities. So I want to slect all wariors
and send them to their home city. That way they get evenly spread. Every city
that has build a warior gets defended.

Then I build up to 3 units in each city for defense (and military law under
Monarchy) so over time a nice army gets build. Perfect for selecting all but
one per city (all for internal, safe cities), crank up luxury and go to war.
After decimating some cities of the AI it then becomes time to go home. Again
it would be nice to send each unit to its home town so they get evenly
spread.

For the scenario initialy described the "Goto nearest city" (G) command seems
sufficient. Or just hit (A), Autosettler move on their own and if you move
them away from the cost they will just go back if that is where the best
improvement can be made.

MfG
   Goswin