I object on principle, but whatever. The Civilization series seems to do
quite fine with B.C. and A.D.

Technically, like I noted earlier, we really shouldn't use either system. How
would they know when they are in the timeline before the birth of Christ?
Instead, we should use something like a dating system based from the
foundation of a city.

So for example, if I was the American civilization, I might devise a calendar
based from the founding of Washington. A later tech could allow the option of
changing the starting point (for example, if at some point I began a major war
with the Persian civilization, I could decide to use that as my civilization's
pivotal dating point: "Before the War" and "After the War." Perhaps a later
wonder could be the creation of a unified dating system for the planet: That
is, if my American civilization builds the "Common Calendar" world wonder
first, all other civilizations automatically have to use my calendar system.

Some might wonder how people would ever know when the game was going to end,
if all the players were on different calendars. However, that's what the turn
# is for. Every player is always on turn #45, or #86, etc. And, the year would
still be the same length (although that's not technically realistic,
considering some civilizations came up with a 360-day year).

This would allow for more interesting options, although I can only imagine
the complexity of the code necessary to implement it.

samcan