I assume we're talking about zooming the main map area here? Presumably in
some quick and easy way such as Ctrl+mousewheel, rather than having to go
through menus every time you want to change zoom level.

I doubt our community has the energy to create multiple hand-drawn tilesets
at different zoom levels, so I guess we'll have to put up with jaggies and
such ugliness at non-default zoom levels. (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri allows
something like this with pixel-based tilesets.)

I can understand the desire for this. I use the zoom facility provided by my
window manager (Compiz' Enhanced Zoom Desktop
<http://wiki.compiz.org/Plugins/Ezoom>) for this sort of thing all the time
(not just in Freeciv).