So the latest and ?greatest? version of Ubuntu still has 2.2.1 Freeciv in
their repository?  If you are up for compiling i might suggest upgrading to
2.2.4 and see if the crashes still happen for you [we don't yet offer .deb
files].

However, let us at least look at what is happening now.  Are these single
player or online games?  Is there a pattern as to when the crash occurs?  Does
it appear after you have taken a certain action?  Is it happening during your
turn or the opponent's turn?

I'm going to repeat the words of one of our geniuses: "The most helpful thing
you could provide would be a stack backtrace as described on the wiki
<http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Bug_Reporting#Backtrace>."