I can't reproduce this or either of the other bugs i recently posted {bug
#18005, bug #18006, bug #18007} from the savegames.  Since all three error
messages occurred during the same play session at the approximate same time, i
assume there must be something else they have in common.  Perhaps the server
itself had some of its memory corrupted?  The play session in question had two
unusual characteristics:

1) It was much longer than normal [160 turns].

2) I did periodically (Leave) the game and reload when i was unhappy with a
decision i'd made.  I'm not proud of it, but there it is.