While our current code (with several patches gone in since this ticket was
first opened) does not provide full functionality of what this patch gets by
unconditionally using getaddrinfo(), original problem reported should be
handled. Current code tries to connect to both IPv6 and IPv4 address if both
are available.

For the time being I prefer our current code to this patch for backward
compatibility reasons. This patch would make getaddrinfo() and friends hard
requirement for Freeciv. For now we still want to support at least IPv4 in
systems lacking those.
Of course this patch can be improved too. I wait a couple of days for
comments. If none is given, I'll close the ticket.