On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Marko Lindqvist wrote:

I had a moment to browse freeciv.net sources again to plan how to
proceed in our gradual merge (currently just unifying codebase;
minimizing diff between the two systems)

I noticed that your tree has copy of metaserver also. I've been doing
commit or two per year to metaserver code. I hope you are aware of
what has been happening there also.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

The slight problem I noticed is in how you deploy metaserver. You have
renamed settings.php as settings.php.dist and your main README
installation instructions say that one should modify that file
directly and then rename it back to settings.php. I don't think you
have any good reason to do it that way instead of doing it correctly.
settings.php has just defaults that are used if user provided
configuration file "local.php" does not provide particular value. So
your installation instructions ask to change these *defaults* and not
to actually configure the metaserver. Well, as long as you provide no
custom configuration for metaserver, (modified) defaults are used, but
that's definitely not supported way to do it.

Well, the problem is that I don't want the real username and password committed to the source code repository. I didn't know about local.php. I also have the same problem with resin-web.xml, where I don't want the password committed to git. The script freeciv.net-bootstrap.sh takes care
of updating the passwords and renaming files.

Have you done any changes to metaserver so that metaservers of these
two projects would also need merging?

Yes, the metaserver of Freeciv.net is slightly modified,
with a different look and with some buttons to join and observe games:

http://games.freeciv.net/freecivmetaserve/metaserver.php

 - Andreas