I think the old code that sells both buildings and units at same time was on
purpose, to avoid a situation where a player goes to bankrupt due to huge army
supported by gold.

Example: AI has 100 units supported by 1 gold each, and 10 banks, and it
loses -10 gold per turn (with 100% taxes to gold).
When treasury becomes negative (-10 in the worst case), a building is sold (a
bank gives 80 gold if I'm right), so there is no need to sell units, and next
turn AI will continue with -10 gold per turn or even worse due to the bank
sold.
This will happen again and again until AI has no banks and still 100 units
supported by gold that completely breaks his economy.

Actually, this is the only reason I can see for the existence of 3 different
gold_upkeep_style.
I used gold_upkeep_style = 2 because is the only one that forces to sell at
least one unit supported by gold everytime treasure goes negative.