I haven't looked your patch at all, but...

> This idiom doesn't map onto the static_assert(constant-expression, "error
message") pattern that's apparently coming in a future C standard

Well, no standard with static_assert has been released yet, but that has
never stopped gcc folk from implementing things that are already in
proposal... At least g++ side has had static_assert since 4.3. One should
check if also gcc supports it.
If it does: as gcc is the compiler used for freeciv compilation 99.5% of the
time, I'd simply add configure check if compiler supports static_assert(), and
define our own macro accordingly (either use static_assert, or do nothing).