                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: Any
         Planned Release:

Over in this forum topic <http://forum.freeciv.org/viewtopic.php?t=6894> we
had a server operator who wanted to restrict the 'maxplayers' setting, because
their server had limited resources and couldn't cope with 30 AIs; they wanted
at most 10 players.

Currently, there's no way for server operators to impose this sort of
restriction short of (a) adding a locked setting in their ruleset(s) (from
2.3.x onwards), or (b) recompiling.

We currently have infrastructure for locking settings in rulesets, and I
think it would be fairly trivial to add a server command to do something
similar. However, that would lock 'maxplayers' down to a _single_ setting
(10), whereas what we ideally want is to restrict the range of 'maxplayers'
from 1-30 to 1-10. This would require some complicated syntax, and wouldn't
generalise to enum or string settings.

(Or we could decide that the number of players / AIs is a special case, and
provide some solution that allows operator control of the limit, say an
'admin'-level setting that restricted the max.)