Your second concern is already addressed by the code; my modifications only
take effect in the case that the tile is not already irrigated (but can be).

Your first concern is a valid complaint.  The remedy is ugly, though, and
possibly fruitless: I'm not sure that the game allows rule-sets to make
farmland building and irrigation take a different amount of time because,
unlike building roads and railroads, building farmland uses the same activity
type as irrigation.  (This quirk is, in fact, why I couldn't implement
farmland planning in the same way that railroad planning is already
performed.)