This change is causing assertion failures on building cities and crashing
soon afterwards on trunk and S2_3.

I'm looking at it and will commit something soon. The simplest fix which
makes the immediate crashes go away is to wrap the destroy_base() in a
tile_has_base() check. I'll commit this at a minimum.

However, I suspect that even with that fix, there will still be trouble in
some cases where the tile actually did have bases on it. Might it be safer to
destroy the bases before creating the city?