> For what it's worth, I would prefer everything (ruleset +
> options) to be in one big file in an "option = value" format.

I fully concur with that, but we shouldn't require that people hack a file
'manually'.  There should still be some sort of front end who wish to stay
within the Freeciv program.  Hopefully we can have that AND an option file
that can be hacked more or less straightforward [i.e. plain text].  Then we
just have to consider the possibility [or certainty] that some users will try
to edit the file while a game is in progress.