>From what I understand from bug #17236, it is for selecting from a radius
(perhaps tiles away from the current location) or the whole map for certain
types of units. What I'm looking for is help in selecting units on a single
tile ; especially seeing their path.

The ultimate goal would be to have a group (troop? platoon?) and see the
activities of every member at a glance, perhaps having a color system, ie: the
path of the 1st member unit is in blue, the 2nd in pale blue, the 3rd in pale
green, 4th in green, 5th yellowish-green, 6th pale yellow, 7th yellow, ... All
those path would be easy to see and would consider that a good portion of the
way all the units would have the *same* path.

This is important to prepare an attack because unless there is a fortress
next to your target, you don't want to have more than 1 unit per tile in case
you'd loose a combat (all other units on the defeated tile would be destroyed.