I agree that own tab for minimap is probably not a good idea. Same
functionality could be implemented with a zoomable normal map view -- like
it's in the newer Civilization's. AFAIK at the moment changing the normal map
resolution is only possible by changing themes(?). Anyway I think that's a
subject for different bug request.

I also think the point of minimap should be to show where in the world the
current map view is located and provide faster way to change the location
somewhere else. It could automatically zoom the minimap as the player
discovers more tiles. At the moment it really doesn't do either of them if the
map is big.