                 Privacy: Public
         Planned Release: 2.5.0

Should we take libicu to use for all kind of UTF-8 manipulation?

This came up after discussion about translations. Sometimes it's really hard
to arrange sentences in translation so that it doesn't begin with some "%s",
which uses word starting with lower case letter. It was requested that we
would add some mechanism to upper case such first letters. Well, that's not
trivial to do for variable-byte UTF-8 texts we have. Libicu would probably
help a lot here.
We've also had, and still have, a lot of problems of truncating UTF-8 strings
potentially mid-multibyte-character. On a somewhat related note, I'd like to
change our naming of variables/constants/macros/whatever so that "len" means
length of text in characters, and "size" is used when number of bytes are in
question.