Likely unrelated, but as this patch dropped mnemonics in a few places, why is
it still calling gtk_image_menu_item_new_with_mnemonic or setting
"use-underline" there ?

As for the gtk3 warnings, initially I thought it's something regarding the
length of the labels, but now I think it might be related to the size of the
flags - but that's still a guess.

On gtk3 warnings topic: ever since 3.2.2, there's a new compile warning for
the dialog construct freeciv is using - now gtk_dialog_new_with_buttons wishes
for at least one button and a proper NULL sentinel.