Please excuse my ignorance of mainland European political history, but are
German-speaking Belgians really a proper nation as per Freeciv convention? My
impression is that they're neither been an independent nation in the past, nor
are striving to become one outside the framework of either the Belgian or
German states.

And if you really go ahead and add them to the game, may I suggest a name
such as "German-Belgians" instead? Perhaps not as accurate, but a little bit
less of a mouthful for our players. :)