It's not just a warning, it's an error:
C2440  not possible to convert the types
VC's C++ is absolutely strict in converting types, at least wants to have a
static_cast to convert.
Kind of inconsequent: It doesn't complain in simple types, so you could return
5; without warning.
AFAIK it's in fact the only situation at a return - though I count over 800
cases with implicit type conversions of another kind.
I didn't post all the things due to C->C++ or VC-weaknesses, that's maybe
another theme.

IMHO here I'd like to see the comparison because that's how the logical
expression is meant to be.