> The "Copying" heading in the help section is a bit
> uninformative. When I first saw it the question was "Copying
> what? Where from and where to?".
COPYING is the traditional name for the GPL file in GNU software
distributions, so presumably that's where the menu item name comes from.

> Thus, an easy way out is to change the "Copying" string into
> "License" or "Copyright" to make it more informative.
I don't know if the GNU people were trying to make some philosophical point
with the "copying" word. FWIW, I can imagine "Copyright" wouldn't sit well
with them, given the "copyleft" terminology, but "License" would probably be
OK.

> On top of that the legalese was not even localized in my
> Polish version of Freeciv.
That's deliberate -- since it's legalese, the specific words matter. There's
no official version of the GPLv2 in a language other than English, AFAIK.
(FWIW, there's a unofficial Polish translation here
<http://gnu.org.pl/text/licencja-gnu.html> -- found from here
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-translations.html>.)

> perhaps we should also add a brief summary (2-4 sentences)
> of the GPL before the full text of the license. Such summary
> would not be constitutive, it could be translated and it
> would be informative for non-English speakers too.
Think we'd have to be quite careful about that. The GPL is already relatively
condensed -- I don't fancy trying to summarise it further -- and any summary
would have to clearly state that it's not legally stating the redistribution
terms (and make sure all translations included it accurately), which legalese
would bloat the summary.