A few times recently, I've noticed games where a barbarian player has
ended up with a bunch of cities (usually undefended).

This is happening in my S2_4 experimental-ruleset test game. Plausibly
the other times I've seen it are with S2_4 as well.

I very occasionally used to see barbarian cities, but now I'm seeing
contiguous areas with three or four of them, quite often, lasting for a
long time. I *think* they're captured rather than founded (unfortunately
one is Pirates adjoining Jamaicans so it's hard to tell from the city
names).

Is this expected behaviour? If not, I can investigate further.
(Could be either a change in barbarian behaviour, or other AI players
have got worse at defending / recapturing against barbarians.)