             Assigned to: jtn
                 Release: S2_4 r21580
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: Any
         Planned Release: 2.4.0,2.5.0

Just noticed in a svn checkout where I'm building and installing only
freeciv-gtk3 (no other client), when run from the install location, I get no
menubar and the following on the console:

1: Gtk menus: file definition not found
1: Gtk menus: Failed to open file '': No such file or directory

In data/Makefile.am, a reference to gtk_menus.xml is conditionalised on
CLIENT_GUI_GTK_2_0, which probably explains it.

The attached patch fixes this, and my symptom.

----
A reference to data/freeciv.rc-2.0 is also in this conditionalisation. I'm
less clear whether we need this for gtk3.
In fact it's not clear to me whether it needs installing at all -- as far as I
can tell, it gets munged into gui-gtk-X.0/Freeciv.h by the shell script
"rc2c", and accessed as fallback_resources[], so I don't see how it's accessed
at all at runtime.
Perhaps it's included as an example?
In the Gtk3 client, fallback_resources[] is not accessed if actually built for
Gtk3. Perhaps this is a remnant of the gtk2x days, and all the rc2c stuff
should be stripped out at the same time as the "#if !GTK_CHECK_VERSION(3, 0,
0)"? Is there a gap here which is not implemented in the Gtk3 client? -- this
file seems to do things like making the beta label red.

In the face of this, my patch ignores freeciv.rc-2.0. Doing anything different
is probably the subject of a new ticket.