The intention by using this high number was, as cazfi said, to dissable
national trade routes while keeping inter-national routes enabled.

In civ2civ3 it is harder to produce trade than in default rules, and national
trade routes would be overpowered. I kept international routes because they
give a similar bonus both to the creator and to the target nation, and because
human players can use them to speed up the game at small maps.
If it causes troubles, I suggest to remove completely the trade routes in this
ruleset, as they did in Longturn.