After *way* too long, i think i'm closing in on a possible fix.  First off:
gnu automake has no responsibility for AM_PATH_SDL, that actually comes from
libSDL project.  Sam Lantinga said he would take a patch to sdl.m4 but i'm
clueless as to how exactly to modify it to do what i want to try.  We might
end up patching something else instead, but i don't have enough background to
suggest where that might be.

Will somebody please explain to me how m4/sdl.m4 and sdl-client.m4 really
work?  There's not much useful comments to these.  Anyway, my pseudocode looks
like this:

IF exists "/Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions"
     THEN {
 -I = "/Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/"
-L = "/Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL"
     }

IF exists "~/Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions"
     THEN {
 -I = "~/Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/"
-L = "~/Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL"
     }

It's entirely possible that a Mac might have frameworks in both places, in
which case the one in HOME should probably take priority.  I have seen a
framework coexisting with unixey dylibs, in which case we can give priority to
the dylib - this is already well covered by our existing processes.