Are you sure this patch plays a role here ? It shouldn't affect anything but
packing (and nothing in its content suggests it could).

While at the first I seem to have reproduced the problem, I've noticed a
warning in the terminal:
(freeciv-gtk3:4695): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_model_get_iter: assertion
`GTK_IS_TREE_MODEL (tree_model)' failed

I've restarted the client and this time I couldn't reproduce it...or at least
I don't think I did.

Anyway, this doesn't seem to be a problem with grids, but one somewhere along
GtkListStore/GtkTreeView line.

Though I'm not rejecting the possibility the problem lies within gtk itself.