Some (late, not critical) thoughts on seeing this:
* Would it be worth being able to pass in min_start_native_area to
count_native_area(), so that it can bail out early when the minimum is
reached? Otherwise, it's going to iterate over entire continents every time it
evaluates a start position, I'd have thought. (I realise the check is disabled
for traditional rulesets.)
* Perhaps it will become necessary in some circumstances for the map generator
to actively ensure that such contiguous native areas exist? I assume you
tested it with 'alien' and there are usually enough such areas generated
naturally currently.