> What value returns the dio_get_xxx() ? According to your
> comment, I understand that these functions returns TRUE if the
> value is read and valid. However, the code doesn't match this
> (for example can dio_get_uint8() returns TRUE even if there was
> no more byte, functions like dio_get_bit_string() look strange).

IIRC return value is solely about whether data was available (and read). These
low-level functions do not know what data is valid. Maybe dio_get_uint8() has
a bug?

Usually lack of valid data will lead to connection being closed in upper
level, but the original bug here was that low-level ended to infinite loop and
it never returned to upper level.