Thanks, I somehow missed that even though settings loading is not done in
savegame2.c, they still go through compat conversions.

And for settings the conversions should be simple enough that there's no
problems often associated with making complex conversions in compat
callbacks.

Now, I think this particular ticket can be resolved simply by adding comment
to settings loading sending me to compat callbacks next time I've forgotten
about them :-)

Almost all the conversations from pre-2.5 savegames to 2.5 savegames happen
outside compat callbacks (handling of final version after all compat
conversions understands both old values and new ones)
- ACTIVITY_ROAD -> ACTIVITY_GEN_ROAD + target
- ACTIVITY_RAILROD -> ACTIVITY_GEN_ROAD + target
- Road specials -> Road types