    I think it does.  While I have no direct experience, the information I
have found seems to indicate that civ1 has no paratroopers and civ2 requires
the destination to be Land.  The best reference that mentions both of these
that I could find was
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Civilization-II-units

    Any recommendations on how this should be set?  By another
paratrooper-specific unit field?  By a game setting?  By something else?

    Separately, if anyone is able to confirm the behaviour from actual play,
that would be helpful: while I suspect the referenced document of being
correct, I am uncertain if it is based on extensive playtesting or generated
from found documentation.  Alternately, if anyone is certain of the authority
of nationmaster.com, that works just as well :)