Someone else on IRC reports having seen this (no further info on the questions
posed here as I missed them):

20:19 < engage> @jtn: apropos bug: In 2.4 sometimes national borders just
                disappear. togglinc ctrl+b does not bring them back. only
                restarting the game and reloading savefile helps. debug
console
                just stays silent when i try to bring them back with ctrl+b
20:21 < engage> @jtn: it never happens at the start, alway after playing a
few
                more turns from the savegame. playing sp on a savegame I
                started in 2.3.
20:23 < engage> @jtn: too sleepy to file bug report tonite, gonna file one
                tomorrow, let me know if there is a better way to debug it
then
                running "freeciv-gtk2 -d 3"