In bug #21151, merely _opening_ the local settings dialog (without touching
anything) causes immediate trouble... and now I check, it causes the borders
to disappear too (although it might not be evident until the mapview is
refreshed).

This is true with both 2.4.0 and S2_4 r23683 (after bug #21231 fix).

Given the potential for refresh delays breaking reporters' idea of what it's
correlated with, I think we may have a winner?

(No idea yet why opening the local settings dialog should have that effect.)