I observed the same problem and it indifferently affects Windows or Linux
clients version 2.4.0. This did not affect 2.3.4. I don't know for 2.4.1.

I suspect the probability of hitting the bug depends on the activity of the
server, especially regarding private chatting between users.
This does not affect the server itself, which just reports a "client
disconnected", but only segfaults the client.

If more clients are detached at the same time inside an actively running
server, when one client crashes the others don't do immediately, but may crash
after a few seconds.
Attached or observing clients are not affected.

I spotted this defect on other servers beside freeciv-debian.ns0.it.